Monday, February 27, 2012

NZ Cup Round 4 Napier

The final round of the NZ Cup was held at Eskdale park in Napier. The course followed the same track as last years with a couple of adjustments but it made for a good, solid power course. A steep sharp climb was there to keep everyone honest as well!
From the start of the race I jumped in front after putting in a powerful first effort and lead around and up to near the top of the major climb - fantastic start!!!
As we made our way to the top single track that traversed along the forest ridge line Dirk, Carl and Mikey slipped past me and I didn't quite jump onto the train as after my excellent start I thought that I might be best to take it back a notch and save the legs for an attack later in the race.
For the next first few laps I kept roughly the same gap on the leaders and saw them on the same spot each lap going up the climb just ahead. I thought that was great! I may still have a chance of getting back on and being in for the win if I launched an attack soon!
Once on lap 4 I noticed after coming through the start/finish for my fifth lap that the front lads had split up as Dirk put in a huge effort and increased the gap on myself and the others which split us all up into solo riders.
I kept going hard and got my last couple of laps complete keeping consistent and finishing 4th position in the Elite men. Overall I was pleased with my race considering I was not quite 100% but nevertheless I gave it a good nudge!

These results slotted me into 4th Elite also in the 2012 New Zealand Cup series.

Bring on Oceania Champs next weekend - final race of the New Zealand season!

No comments:

Post a Comment