Thursday, February 2, 2012

Skins Road Race 7th January 2012


The Skins Road Race is an event held prior to the Elite Road Racing National Championships that follows the same course with 56km of fast racing action!

This year the course consisted of two laps on the flat followed by two laps using the main climb and also the main spectator point of the race (where there are a lot of hurt looking faces!).

The morning of the race came around and firstly it was off to work for a couple of hours for me before heading off down the road to the start line.

My Trek Madone 5.2 Road Bike equipped with a pair of sleek Shimano Dura-ace wheels from Brad Williams (my boss from Halswell Butchery) , I had a fast looking race machine and was keen to see what the body could do up the first climb in the race.

Starting a road event is always very different from a mountain bike event in the way that it is quite casual to begin with. I changed my mindset and went in with a game plan of letting the body warm into the race on the first lap then attacking when I hit the climb on lap three (first of the full laps).

A couple of attacks had been made early on and one rider was starting to get away on the second lap so I decided I needed to try and get the peloton working to get back up. This didn’t work out too well as most people wanted to save themselves for the hill so only three of us were rotating up the front!

Once we hit the climb it was game on! I smacked it hard up the hill in my big chain ring and past the break away rider very quickly managing to create a good gap by the time I was off the hill. From here I went into time trial mode on the flat pushing hard and once I went through the start/finish it was one last time to do that all again! A final strong push up the hill to increase the gap with the rest of the lap to follow I finished winning with a solid lead on the other riders very stoked with how I rode!

Big thanks to Brad Williams (Halswell Butchery) for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment