Monday, February 4, 2013

NZ CUP ROUND 2

The second round of the NZ Cup was held on a brutal course at the Mt Vic park in Wellington.  While similar to last years Cup Round the course included a couple more super steep sharp pinch climbs that sucked a fair bit of fuel out of the engine during the race.  Neat tight and fast trails all made for a good lap keeping the eyes wide open on the loose terrain that Wellington had to offer on a fantastic day, a little too hot maybe but same conditions for all!

I started off the race in the same fashion as my previous event in Nelson not blowing myself but keeping a bit in reserve so I made sure I lasted the 6 lap distance.  The boys quickly spread out and I was sitting around the top 8 or so during my first lap but jumped up to the 5th position and had a couple of the others in sight.  While I was starting to get some good forward momentum and getting very close to the next couple of riders ahead of me I got to the fourth lap and realized that they were starting to pull away from me again.  A bit frustrating but I think I started to go a bit slower as the body battled on during the intense afternoon race.
I finally came onto the last lap - yep, here we go again! Looking forward to getting that final climb done and completing the event and came over the line holding my 5th in the Elite men.
Thanks to Mat for the weekend's help and to Jack and his family for hosting us, another one down and less than two weeks until Nationals to go - looking forward to some sharp racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment