Monday, February 25, 2013

Kaiwara Classic 2013

Last year I didn't get to compete in the Kaiwara Classic Mountain Bike race so I was looking forward to racing again in an event that always gets a great turn out and has a good name for itself.
The course now has two options, the challenge and the bigger course being named the Epic.  The Epic follows the same course as the Challenge but ventures off up into some steep farm track and along the top before meeting up with the bottom of the first major climb in the Challenge course.
The race started off with a bit of a game of tiddlewinks with a few riders not wanting to pull there weight on the road.  I made a cheeky attack to get things moving but after that it went back to how it was until Jeremy Inglis had a nudge up the front to get to the hill.  I was wanting to hit the first climb hard and I quickly opened up the field to just four riders, Logan, Ben, Craig and myself.  I was working the pace hard but the boys held on up the first climb, I was thinking these boys might be hard to crack today!  Once at the top we dropped down then started our climb up the Epic farm track.  The course took a steep left and I kept in my big chain ring and I looked around and I was by myself.  The lads had started to drop off.  I kept the pressure on and rode strong all the way over the tops and along the middle gravel road passing the Challenge riders and hunting down that finish line.  The final climb was good and after a traverse along the top of the hills and down the final descent it was a tough head wind along the tarseal just to keep everyone honest all the way to the line!
I held onto my lead and took the line honors really happy with how I rode as I also now have the course record for not only the shorter course but the long course also!

No comments:

Post a Comment