Monday, January 21, 2013

Nelson TOP GUN MTB Event

The Top Gun XC MTB event was another fantastic event put on by the Nelson MTB club.  The course was superb and started off with the usually drag race up the gravel road and down Gully, a fast following and tight but super fun single track!  Another short sharp climb made for good passing opportunity and with the rest of the course mostly single track it was great fun - infact the most fun I've had racing for a while!  A couple of fly over jumps, pump track and neat flowing corners all on a nice day I couldn't have asked for much more!
The race started off a bit edgy for me,  I competed down in Bluff a couple of weekends ago with a DNF so one thing I wanted to make sure I did was finish the race and finish strong.  
The race started off as per expected nice and fast but at about half way up the climb I slipped near the back and let the front guys pull away a bit and do the usual thing and hit the decent hard.  I came down behind a couple of slower riders (mass start) but hit the Nitrous on the next climb to start catching back up to the next rider.  The next lap I was feeling good and really started to find some rhythm and I caught Ethan Glover and past him and really pressed on.  Lap 3 I could see Ben Oliver and Carl Jones ahead and I knew I was taking time out of them.  Lap 4 I caught and past both of them and opened up a gap and while Dirk Peters already had fantastic lead I kept driving the pins on and finished in 2nd place in the Elite Field and Overall.  I was super happy with my result and things are looking good now as im in the 2013 Summer season!
Thanks to the Millers for the accommodation and a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment