Sunday, December 9, 2012

Long Beach Coastal Challenge

Long Beach Coastal Challenge has been a good solid race that keeps on grinding away through farm paddocks for around 35km.  While there is no single track on offer it was a good event to keep the heart rate high and battle away and see how the legs would cope!
I started well and it quickly became a front bunch of Anton, Craig, Ben, Logan and myself taking a few turns to tow the train around the twisty course.
About a third of the way into the course we crossed a river and saw the first attack from Anton and Logan followed suit.  The rest of us chased on and we got back onto Logan and started to work as a group to pull back the whippet leading the way.  Not too long after Logan was riding strong and slipped away through a tightly gnarly piece of terrain and I was left with the Oliver brothers to ride against.  We came toward the beach front and I knew I might be in for a bit of trouble as  I tend to sink in the deeper stuff when the lighter boys skate across!  Nevertheless I pulled myself back onto them near the end after biting the stem down a long gravel road.
The final river crossing came up and the brothers rode over a small walking bridge and while I saw them slow down I thought I could be a bit smart and smash through the river.... Well unfortunately this was not the case and I sunk downwards again!
Anyway it was a few hundred meters to the finish line and I came over the line in 5th place,a nice day out down South.

No comments:

Post a Comment