Monday, April 12, 2010

Blue Mountain MTB race

The 2010 Blue Mountain MTB race was a 63km event that doubled as the final round of the South Canterbury Cup. I went into this event feeling fresh and ready to race as I have been having a break from training. The day turned out to be a cracker with the sun blazing high in the sky but with an 8.30am start there was still a chill in the air! My aim for this race was to have fun, keep my nutrition up and not go out hard so I was still feeling good toward the end and that all went to plan! After the first few stages of the race there were a few undulating hills and I managed to break away from the rest of the leading pack on one of these. Instead of smashing it to secure my break away I just kept on doing what I was doing and got further away. At the 2 1/2 hour mark I decided to start winding it up as I knew I would be around the 3 hour mark finish time. This worked out well because my legs were feeling it on the final climb of the race that was before the shingle and tarseal road back to the finish line. I won overall and set a new course record to also win my catagory in the South Canterbury Cup. Big thanks to the Prestidge family for taking care of me over the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment