Friday, October 14, 2011

Le Race 2011

Todays Le Race went pretty well all things considered. After just getting back into training with no base miles done yet I finished with a very respectable net time of 2 hours 53 minutes and 6 seconds. Conditions were tough along the summit roads with high winds, little visability and rain, this all made for a solid 100 kilometres.
From the start the body was pretty cold and up the to the kiwi I had a bit of work to do getting back onto the main front bunch once the body started to warm up. This whole section onto the down hill toward Gebbies pass went pretty steadily.
The downhill's were very greasy and once I had some clear vision I saw that the whole field had split up with some riders way down the hill (most were the top riders I think) so I pressed on and got some nice passing manoeuvres going. On one of the cattle stops on a bend a rider skated on the deck infront of me - not the prettiest site but he got back up.
By the bottom of the hill I was inbetween the leaders and the main front bunch so I settled back into the up coming group. A few Km's into the flat section one of the top riders who was with us pushed the pace and I fell back. I kept pressing on and a couple of riders caught me up and we got some good momentum going. Just before the Akaroa hill the Peloton caught up also but as soon as we hit the hill it was game on! I settled into a very good rhythm and dropped the peloton and caught and past quite a few other riders ahead.
Once I got a fresh bottle at the top (thanks mum) it was the last 40km to the finish. I was with a few other riders but eventually it became 3 of us right to the finish with myself being the middle rider.
I crossed the line 23rd overall with a pretty cold body and tired legs but all in all a very good outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment