Friday, October 21, 2011

Dusky Trail 2011

Todays race was the 2011 Dusky Trail mountain bike race held down in Twizel. 44km of mostly open four wheel drive terrain. This involved a few wee pinch climbs, a few river crossings that made for mandatory dismount, boggey patches and some false flats that made you feel like you were grinding away and pushing harder than required! All this mixed together with a nice day with the sun coming out during the event.

From the start it wasn't long before the front of the race saw 3 of us riding away. After several Kilometres of shingle roads and tarmac the 2 riders with me were starting to slow the pace so I pressed on over the rough terrain. Here there were 3 of us all on 29ers (and a 1-2-3 at the finish) and the big wheels were fantastic over the bumpy surface. I jumped at the front and pushed on and a couple of minutes later (not long before the first river crossing) I looked back and saw I had a gap.

Once through the river I kept the pace up and had a strong ride to the finish. The false flats that gradually climbed up into the valley also on some damp sections felt quite energy sapping but my Trek 29'er bike felt superior on a course like this.

I am also using a new set of Geax Barro Race Tyres which I have been using in the Short Track Racing here in Christchurch. Right from the first race I thought they were fantastic! The hook they have at high speed is excellent and on one of the high speed shoots coming down to a tight left hand corner to start the climb they provide real confidence for me to hook into at pace. I'm looking forward to racing them in the National Rounds kicking off in January.

Next weekend is the Mcleans 12 Hour Event held right here on home ground. Keep a look out for a fast Cycleways Team in the Orange colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment