Sunday, June 26, 2011

Waipara Classic 90km Road Race 21st May


The 2011 Waipara 90km Classic Handi-cap Road Race was my first race on my Brand New 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 Road Bike from Cycleways. The bike set up with an super slick Ultegra groupset and a very sleek and kiwi Black and White paint job! With a set of Dura-ace Wheels borrowed courtesy of Brad Williams I was very keen to get out and see how the new machine went!
The course went up toward Greta Valley and after a bit of a loop came back along the Weka Pass. With mint conditions for racing with the sun out and little wind the mind and body was in good form!
As it was a handi-cap event and was only my second road event this season (my first event this season on my old 2003 Giant TCR Road Bike) I chose to ride in the Break group. The course suited me well as it undulated in several sections and I did a lot of work up the front of the bunch. One thing I found was that the harder I rode the Trek the better it felt!
Towards the end of the race we had the last couple of short hills up the Weka Pass which was a very quick pace as a couple of riders tried to break away-the legs were starting to feel a bit on the tired side but I managed to hold on and keep the pressure on over the last 10km.
The course then turned left and it started to get a bit congested as we had caught up the next couple of Bunches (due to the handi-capping) and before I knew it we had crossed the finish line but no real chance of a sprint!
This didn't matter however as the handi-capping was not right but it was an excellent day for racing and I was very pleased with my new machine and how I rode!
Big thanks to Brad for lending me his wheels and to My Sponsor Matt Bailey (Cycleways) for sorting me out a fantastic new Machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment