Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mt Isobel Challenge 26th May

The Mt Isobel Challenge is a Duathlon event in Hanmer Springs that consists of an 8km hill run up the Mt Isobel track to the summit with a 1000 metre ascent. This then gets followed up with a 22km undulating mountain bike back to the finish line at the domain.
This was an event I did last year during the winter season where I finished second in the Junior category and as it was a great event and I had good fun I was keen to have another crack at it. So with a bit more of a running base compared to last year and almost the identical conditions (icy cold wind early morning at the transition up Jacks Pass Road but sunny once we got going) it was going to be a good hit out!
The pace at the start was hot and I was sitting somewhere in the front half of the pack. We followed up the gravel road for a kilometre or so till we came onto the single track. A gnarly run/grunt eventually made its way to the top and along the ridgeline to reach the peak. From there it was a sign of relief as I knew it was all downhill until I got onto the bike. The downhill was fast and furious. I had my mate Sam Bell and Boss Brad Williams (a bit of humble competition) to try and keep up with which turned into quite a mission with a lack of downhill adventure running and road running shoes on sketchy and steep terrain. Nevertheless I got down in one piece and after a slow transition I was off - time to wind up the big wheels!
This bike section I was looking forward to as I knew I could make up some good placings with this and prior to the race the idea was to save the legs for a good smack fest once on two wheels. However after the intensity in the run the legs felt dead and so after grinding up every hill and still managing to pull in quite a few riders (including Sam and Brad!) I eventually made it back to the finish 2nd in my class and 6th overall. Well done to young Craig Oliver who smashed the course and took out first overall in the event!
A great day out and an awesome event during the Winter time, highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment