Monday, June 4, 2012

Coupe Canada Cup

Last night we arrived home in the early hours after a big day of racing and travelling from the Coupe Canada Cup Round 3 as our first hit out overseas this year.
We arrived two nights out from the race driving through rain and I thought it might be a good case of putting the muds on before I had ridden the track.  I waited until the next day and was suprised when the course was super fast and tacky as it had been quite dry recently and the rain had hardly left a puddle.
I really enjoyed the track.  It was not super hilly but was very fast and still had a couple of neat downhills but was just  a fun track to blast around - perfect for a first hit to blow the cobwebs out and shake off the jetlag!
I started on the front row of the Elite mens race which was a six lap trace.  It was a very cool feeling starting a race like that alongside a few of the pro`s.  My start went well and I just held my own sitting off the line within the top 10. I quickly thought otherwise to running my dry set up (Maxxis Aspens) tyres as soon as I hit the singletrack but that was the setup I had on and so be it (although the Maxxis Beavers were looking quite inviting!)   I managed to hold a very good position for the first and second laps but got passed by a couple of riders throughout the race.
 Each time we completed a lap the course was cutting up more and more but I held it together and kept upright and smooth.  Think the big wheels made life a bit easier on a course like this!
The final laps saw a solid push for the line, the legs had been working hard and I finished in the Elite men in 14th position and 5th Under 23.
Overall pretty pleased with that result for the first race.  This weekend I have the Raid race which should be fun, more of a point to point rather than a circuit but all good training.  The World Cups are  in just under 3 weeks time and are looking very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment