Saturday, January 21, 2012

New Zealand Mountain Bike Cup Round 2




Round 2 of the New Zealand Cup was held over the hill at Living Springs – home course!!!
The week leading up to this event my training had gone very well and with some good weather the course was looking good for the race on Sunday...
Race day came around and the rain decided it might spill a drop or two but this didn’t really affect the course as I did a pre-race lap. I still chose to run a slightly more conservative set with my tyres just in case!
The race started very well and I managed to lead after the main climb into the pines and even held a gap for the first few laps. Lap 4 came around and I had a flat spot during my race and Carl attacked and I didn’t really respond, however on the last couple of laps Dirk and I had a good battle to get through to the finish. What we didn’t know was while we were racing hard we were closing the gap on Carl.
I played my cards well on the final lap and jumped into the pines ahead of Dirk and managed to push hard and have the edge as we headed toward the finish. It sure was full on but I managed to hold it together and finish second about 50metres behind Carl with Dirk a few seconds behind me.
A good result after last weekend and I would like to thank all my supporters out there – it was great to have heaps of people cheering me on!
Nationals next weekend – time to see what I can really do now with my form coming on!

No comments:

Post a Comment