Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hanmer Hammerhead

After the last few races being quite relaxed at the start I decided it was time to push the pace right from the start and see who had the legs to hold on. So race start was fast and frantic and I sat in behind Anton for a few metres then nailed it to lead onto the single track shoot. Straight away I cranked it into top gear and Anton and I already had a good gap once back onto the open gravel road!

The race was three laps, 10km each lap with 350m climbing gain. After a super quick first lap we had a substantial lead over the others and I lead us into the pit area/feed zone. Toward the end of the second lap Anton made a strong attack up a climb and despite seeing it coming my legs just weren't quite there to respond!
Although Anton slipped slowly away I consolidated my position to come in a strong second overall. I was pretty pleased how I handled this one with nearly 5 minutes back to 3rd place.

My Trek 29er was running mint, smooth as anything along the Hanmer trails and ideally suited to these tracks. After last weekend I would be fair to say my setup was a bit more suited to this race than last weekend!
My Geax Barro Race tyres were excellent even though there were some damp/wet parts of the tracks to contend with. They really are a super fast, fantastic free rolling XC race tyre!

No comments:

Post a Comment