Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pass to Pub 2011

After National Champs and the continued build up towards Oceania Champs a couple of weeks away, the Pass2Pub event was going to be a good race, relatively close and a break from the longer distances travelled of late. So far this season I have been pretty lucky with my health but during the week I caught a nasty cold having a few days off the bike and coming into the race feeling that day only slightly better. Hot on competition down at this event was Kyle Wood in the same position as me with a past cold and Brent Miller.
From the start it was the 3 of us leading the race and after a while Kyle started to get away. I was dropping behind on the undulations but then settled down and worked up to the front where not long after the race was between Kyle and me and our two big 29'ers!
After a bit of tossing and turning past the half way mark we came into a tight and twisty farm track going through several creeks. On one of these I was right behind Kyle who jumped off which I attempted to ride however I spun on a rock. The course then went up a short hill which Kyle gapped it up and I was thinking I'll catch back up, he managed to hold around a 50 metre gap all the way to the finish!
I ended up coming in second 18 seconds behind but not too worried as I knew my cold had compromised my race.

No comments:

Post a Comment